[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MooCowMusic Support Forum • Left Handed Guitar mode feature request

Left Handed Guitar mode feature request

Request new Looptical features
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Paul307
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Left Handed Guitar mode feature request

Postby Paul307 » 18 Sep 2013, 15:37

Hi there, I just bought Looptical and am really it enjoying thus far. One thing I would really like to see in a future update , is a Left Handed mode for guitar. Even though the current guitar mode is still playable for me, it is less intuitive as I am left handed. Guitarism is one example of an app which offers this feature.

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Re: Left Handed Guitar mode feature request

Postby MooCowMusic » 18 Sep 2013, 16:12

I'm not a leftie so I want to make sure I have this right.

The strings are strung/tuned in the opposite order, so bottom E is now effectively to the right of the Looptical Chord Guitar, and top E to the left. That is: EBGDAE instead of currently EADGBE.

Then because of this, the chord presets would all have to be flipped so that (E) 022100 becomes 001220.

And finally, I guess you think in your head when you look at the Chord Guitar, that you are turning the iPhone 90 degrees clockwise and strumming with your left hand while selecting chords with your right, whereas I think of it as anticlockwise and strumming with my right. But the location of chords in the palette does not matter, left or right handed. Or the position of the Mute button. Because I'd really like not to have a separate graphic and interface for that palette just for the relatively small number of lefties out there. Hopefully a compromise here. :)

And you'd strum right to left instead of left to right. Which seems weird to me but only because I've learnt to play guitar with my right hand strumming down (or right in this context).

So presumably it would be enough for you to have some sort of setting to turn on "Left Handed mode" and then the rest of the above is done behind the scenes?

Paul307

Postby Paul307 » 18 Sep 2013, 17:55

Hi Mark
As it stands right now with the current interface, the bass strings are further away from me and intuitively I am used to a downward strumming motion ie. bass strings to the treble strings direction, when playing a left handed guitar . If I want to use my left hand for strumming in Looptical, I basically have to strum in an up down strumming motion. So yes,some sort of setting to turn on a "Left Handed mode" and the rest is done behind the scenes, would be a perfect scenario. I can send you a screenshot of how Guitarism looks, if that would help

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 18 Sep 2013, 18:19

OK. I'll work on it.
I have an important bug-fix update going in today, so I might be able to get it in with that. Or else it will be in a future update.

Paul307

Postby Paul307 » 18 Sep 2013, 18:23

Thanks Mark
I look forward to a future update. Fantastic customer service by the way.

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 19 Sep 2013, 00:48

Left handed guitar mode has been added and will be in the update that I'll submit tomorrow. It's been quite an interesting challenge actually, so thanks for the suggestion.

The guitar is strung EBGDAE from left to right, and preset chords are flipped so an E becomes 001220. You strum with left hand from right to left, which feels very weird to me, being used to right handed guitars. It even shows the correct string widths with the thickest (bottom E) string on the right. And you toggle LEFT HANDED mode on or off from the Chord Guitar Setup dialog.

saboor

Postby saboor » 16 Apr 2015, 11:57

Thank you. Still excited about Looptical.

Return to “Feature Requests”