[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MooCowMusic Support Forum • Project Notes

Project Notes

Request new Looptical features
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Yendor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Project Notes

Postby Yendor » 14 Oct 2013, 03:50

Something to consider in the future that I think would be handy would be to have the ability to add and view track or project notes.

This would simply be text saved within a project that the user can call up or enter while playing.

Some uses I think would be handy:
- Tracks - what were the external instruments used (e.g. synth, synth patches, guitar effects or settings, sample sources, etc.)
- Loops/Songs - what were the loops used to constructs the song.
- Lyrics
- Key
- What 'mode' to play the solo
- Composition or playing notes
- and other misc. comments.

This is missing on many composing tools and feel this would be a nice add to Looptical.

This could be another icon under General - "Comments". Another nice add would be the ability to email and support text copy/paste.

Thanks for considering!

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Re: Project Notes

Postby MooCowMusic » 14 Oct 2013, 10:27

I had this in a very early version of the app - not only for projects but also instruments. I had an idea that people would make instruments and then want to explain how best to use them. I took it all out because it was a lot of text fields on a small screen of the iPhone, and I felt that perhaps it wasn't really necessary and made the app needlessly complex.

Now I'm working on the iPad version with more space then perhaps I'll look at it again.

I think that instrument notes are not so useful since either they are in a project and you know how to use them and where they came from (probably yourself), or you download them from somewhere and can find out about them there. You don't need to carry round all that text within your project.

Project notes could be good, for the reasons you've outlined. Rather than give lots of fields I think it would be better to have a single text area that you can put whatever information you want in it, and leave it up to the user how they lay it out. You will then be able to select and copy the text with the standard iOS method of tap and hold in the box and "select All" / "copy". And then paste that wherever you want.

This is in the To Do list. Thanks for suggesting it!

Yendor

Postby Yendor » 14 Oct 2013, 13:36

Exactly! Something like a simple text file per project that's integrated into Looptical would be perfect! I might even finish some lyrics then!

Awesome - Thanks!

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 14 Oct 2013, 15:53

Strangely at one point I was musing on a "Lyric interface" where you could write lyrics, and then "play" them word by word along with the song, and have some sort of karaoke lyric screen. Probably very wisely I decided not to implement that.

Also apparently there is now an API to let you make Siri say whatever you want within an app. Which would be quite fun to have him/her rap your lyrics. I think it would get old really quick though. Also I'm wondering if Apple has weird restrictions on what you allow your users to get their virtual spokesperson Siri to say.

redgee34

Postby redgee34 » 14 Mar 2015, 12:10

You are talking about listing all the note events rather like Logic Pro does? I could do this. But I think that this would be far better suited to a piano roll where it is visual and you don't have to work out the exact time yourself. I am planning on a piano roll at some point, with the emphasis being on editing notes. I've revisited a lot of other iOS apps with piano rolls and found them universally unintuitive, which is really where I started on designing Looptical not to need one. Perhaps the solution is to have people record notes by live input (or by a step sequencer interface I'm planning), and then only if they really want to access the piano roll and drill down on a track and see the notes. Then they can select and move a note around, lengthen it, or delete it. Potentially select multiple notes. But really, the more options you give in a piano roll, the more horribly complex the interface becomes.

Return to “Feature Requests”