Audiobus, Sample Tank and Music Studio compatability

Lorrie

Audiobus, Sample Tank and Music Studio compatability

Postby Lorrie » 11 Mar 2014, 18:52

Hi, I am using SampleTank and Music Studio apps with my iPad 4G and would like the ability to use Pianist Pro to access Sample Tank sounds and record into Music Studio; and I will want to other inapps for iPad too. This is a lovely app, the arpeggiator is just what I need to use with midi connecting to my retro synth, if only I can find a way to use it in live band performances and be able to access some of the sounds in my other apps and record into my Music Studio too! Is this a possibility in the near future? Thanks in advance! (I would like to use it with Audiobus too!)

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Re: Audiobus, Sample Tank and Music Studio compatability

Postby MooCowMusic » 11 Mar 2014, 22:56

Hi there. I don't have any plans at the moment for additional Pianist Pro functionality. I'm having to concentrate on the new app: Looptical. This is now a Universal app and has various functions you mentioned, but crucially does not yet have MIDI OUT, so is no good for you either. Sorry. :)

Lorrie

Postby Lorrie » 12 Mar 2014, 20:48

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I am really sad to hear you have no plans to expand the user-ability of Pianist Pro at this stage. For someone like me this would be fantastic! Pianist Pro is fun and I strongly believe you might find there is an unfilled whole/niche for your style of app, and that many other people may prefer and have immediate benefit to your 'regular' approach, as opposed to the funkier, gimmicky and less traditional musical approach apps for arpeggios. Wishing you every success with Looptical. Lorrie

dictate

Postby dictate » 16 Aug 2014, 22:54

Hello,
I am sure that I am speaking for many fans of PianistPro. Please make it compatible with AudioBus. It would only take about 20 minutes of your time to do so.
My husband Richard and I have two Grammy Nominations and take your App very seriously.
Sincerely,
Carolyn Tate

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 23 Aug 2014, 12:10

It is on the ToDo list for that app. Unfortunately it is not a "20 min" job because Pianist Pro uses an older version of our sound engine that does not run in the background. That would be required by Audiobus, and would mean completely removing the audio engine and replacing it with the one from Looptical. Which at a guess would be at least a couple of weeks work.

However, it should be said that Looptical contains almost all of the functionality of Pianist Pro, but turns it into a full recording studio.

Off the top of my head, the areas of Pianist Pro that are not covered by Looptical are:
- MIDI OUT (which presumably is not required if you are looking for Audiobus).
- The Pattern Arpeggiator (although it has a standard U/D arp).

It also has not only Audiobus support but also Inter-App Audio support. And runs on both iPad and iPhone natively. Multiple tracks with multiple user-defined instruments or audio tracks. Multiple effects. etc.

It is really for this reason that updating Pianist Pro to use the Looptical audio engine is not that high on the list at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

davidvac

Postby davidvac » 06 Nov 2014, 14:21

I guess I can see where your energy is right now. Just a couple of thoughts from me:
1. I paid for Pianist Pro and I think it is absolutely brilliant. It is just what I need as an amateur to help me put some really great sounding backing to my guitar and vocals. So that is why I paid for it.
2. I use Loopy for all my looping requirements - it does exactly what it says on the tin and really really well. I don't actually need another looper.
3. But I really, really, really want to be able to play the piano through the looper and Audiobus does exactly that for me (as well as a whole load of other clever stuff.
If there is no hope of getting my fave piano app to play through my fave looper using the de-facto recognised connector, then I guess I will have to find another app. I will definitely not buy another app from a developer who really only seems to care about selling another app rather than supporting the folk who have paid for the old stuff that they are no longer interested in. Sorry
Maybe if you were to offer loyal customers an economic (free?) upgrade path to looptastic (which does almost everything that Pianist Pro does - except arp patterns) then I might stay loyal but at the moment I feel pretty let down. :(

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 07 Nov 2014, 00:00

Fair points. But I just wanted to let you know that Looptical is _not_ another Looper pedal app. The name comes from the idea of a new method of composing by recording sections of music (which it terms "loops") and then combining those into longer sections, overdubbing, and so on. I can't fully explain this here, unfortunately, but the Looptical manual is available on this site that has more. This lets you go from a few musical riffs and ideas into a full song without having to drag-select copy-paste tiny boxes in a piano roll, which I've always found impractical on an iPad and impossible on an iPhone. Aside from this novel approach to the traditional piano roll, in all other respects Looptical is a sequencer, DAW, and sample-based instrument soundbank.

Looptical would be better described as: "Pianist Pro with multiple tracks and instruments, insert effects on each track, Audiobus and IAA compatibility, better editing options, and so on and so on".

Probably I shouldn't have called it "Looptical" because of the assumptions people seem to now make about the word "Loop", but at the time I thought I was being clever. :)

For your specific use case, you could set up Looptical to output to Audiobus to Looper, and then play any of the many preset instruments, or even create your own by importing one or more samples. You could add up to 5 insert effects to the track (instrument) you are playing live, and even control every parameter of each of those effect with MIDI controllers. (Eg. a knob on your MIDI keyboard to control filter, and another to control delay feedback).

I'm pretty sure that the piano from Pianist Pro is included in Looptical as a preset, but if not then it would not actually take you that long to record a few notes (I think Pianist Pro has one sample every 4 or 5 keys, so we're not talking 88 notes), import that Wav into Looptical, cut out each note and assign to the key of a new instrument. And of course if you get bored with the Pianist Pro piano then you can do the same thing to sample any other piano or instrument of your choosing. There are even kind Looptical users who have created their own piano instruments for you and have posted links to them from our forum.

Alternatively, putting aside Looper for a small moment, you could record a drum-beat in Looptical, expand it to 36 bars or something (probably overdubbing and adding fills and so on), add a killer bass part, then record your piano part over top using one of the Looptical pianos. Then route your guitar through a guitar effect app -> AudioBus -> Looptical and record that as an audio track over the top. You might even want to add the odd additional Looptical effect to your track. And then add your vocals in the same way. Add a global reverb and compression effect, and then mix your track by recording changes in automation to just about every parameter. Finally export your track as an M4a and email it to someone.

This video gives you a general idea:

I understand the old argument that developers want to chase profit (which is another way of saying "eat"), and customers want endless free updates to four year old apps that only cost them the price of a cup of coffee in the first place. There unfortunately isn't a solution to this, and by even trying to respond to your statement I've probably put your back up. Sorry. However, in this _particular_ case, I have good reason for spending more time on Looptical than Pianist Pro. Looptical basically _is_ the best parts of Pianist Pro, with a huge amount more stuff added.

davidvac

Postby davidvac » 12 Nov 2014, 16:53

OK OK OK... I totally get it! Actually, I was probably in a bit of a bad mood when I wrote that post so thanks for your very well thought out reply and sorry for the slightly snide comments.

I do absolutely get Looptical now. I've bought a copy and am totally wowed by it. And thanks for the hints and tips on how to get the best out of both apps. Actually, there's so much in there I'm a bit overawed by the thing and probably need to spend a lot of time with the tutorials.

I do understand the issue about ongoing releases vs new functionality. I have spent a long time in the IT industry and it is a constant dilemma. I guess I had only just paid out for Pianist Pro and the comments about ongoing support jarred against my recent (measly) expenditure on something that is clearly worth a great deal more than you charge for it.

Keep up the good work! As well as the great responsiveness to miserable users! ;)

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 14 Nov 2014, 14:57

No problem at all.

Free verses Paid support / upgrades is a long-running argument that I don't think there is a resolution for. I think it actually stems from the pre-AppStore days when we made apps that were by necessity free (no way to charge for them), and there was no support from Apple so we tended to break things and have to fix them and push out updates quickly. And in the process we added in new functionality to the apps we were building for fun in our spare time.

When Apple monetarised apps, people naturally assumed that they would get the same constant updates and feature growth for free. But also since then people have assumed that apps should be cheaper from the initial suggestion that Apple gave us of $10 down to 99c or free. Whatever clever arguments can be made to justify this, at the end of the day for each developer there is a decision on what work to prioritise based on estimated future sales. Which means that unfortunately some apps don't get the time spent on them that in an ideal world they would.

Return to “Support”