Great Stuff!

Request new Looptical features
Paulus

Great Stuff!

Postby Paulus » 22 Sep 2013, 14:11

Congratulations on a very impressive App. In the search for the Holy Grail of music creation apps you're pretty darn close! Fast intuitive workflow and good sounds. The automation is solid and I personally love the fact that there is no Piano Roll: it makes the app much more like a tape machine and I seem to concentrate more on the performance than fixing it afterwards in tiny boxes! It works well on the Ipad where the chunky graphics mean that I am spending far less time on rearranging visuals than I do in Cubasis. Every time I thought I had found a shortcoming you seem to have thought of it first! So these are suggestions for the future rather than things that are missing! I would personally like a double tap on the Stop button to RTZ : an amp sim in the FX rack would be fun ( but hey we've got Audiobus) :and maybe the Reverb algorithm could be a little less metallic? The filter is amazing btw.....many thanks.

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Re: Great Stuff!

Postby MooCowMusic » 22 Sep 2013, 15:20

Double Tap On Stop to RTZ: OK, so there is no "Stop" button. Only if you are playing or recording you can tap on play or record to stop. I could potentially make it so you double tap to stop and go back to the start. But I'd be worried that this would get accidentally done by a user when they didn't mean it and be annoying. I could instead have a double tap on the Bar to do this, which I'll investigate whether it feels ok. But of course, instead of a double tap (2 taps) you can tap on Bar, then on !<< , then outside the dialog (3 taps) and you get the same thing. Plus there's no danger you'll do it accidentally.

Amp Sim - I'd truly love to have this. But currently I don't know enough about the effect to make it sound good. Technically it is just an overdrive effect and a convolution reverb. But actually doing that (and doing it so it's not prohibitively expensive on CPU) is tricky. As you say, right now you can have your external audio (guitar) going into AmpliTube, through Audiobus, and into Looptical. Since I don't think I will ever have guitar-specific effects to rival AmpliTube, I think this is probably OK. Plus for the future it seems likely that AmpliTube will be an Inter-App Audio Effect, and Looptical will be able to host it as an insert effect anyway. That's the plan, but I've got to work out how to implement it.

Reverb - I'll tinker with it. Reverbs are tricky in they are either a completely guarded secret, or they use 1960's research papers with various "tuned" parameters. We have a very standard reverb of the latter type, pretty similar to FreeVerb in design. I did at one point experiment with the Apple AudioUnit Reverb, but it sounded pretty bad and had basically no configurable parameters. Some instruments work better than others with reverb.

Piano Roll - Thank you for being positive about there not being one. A lot of people seem to feel a key aspect to writing music is to move little boxes around, rather than play those notes live with some quantize, and listen to the output. I'm not ruling out a piano roll in the future. I think the addition of a step sequencer for drums and synths will even more make it a nice but non-essential extra.

iPad Version - Yup, as I keep saying recently, I plan on an iPad version (perhaps Universal, depending on how tricky that becomes to support all the resolutions), but I'd rather at this point spend time adding functionality for iPhone that iPad owners can also use (step sequencers, more IAA, MIDI OUT, a million things in the ToDo list), than spend all that time just making the graphics look a bit sharper on the iPad. I _totally_ get why people with Retina iPads would prefer a Retina iPad app to an iPhone one. If I had one to give them, I would! :)

Thanks for your nice comments. Much appreciated. Please consider making them in an App Store review also. Thanks.

Paulus

Postby Paulus » 22 Sep 2013, 16:27

Thanks for your reply. Maybe also the ability to Group faders? Just noticed that if you replace an instrument on an existing track, the FX stay with the track but the Pan and Rvb sends are reset?

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 22 Sep 2013, 19:28

Pan / Reverb Send Reset - Yes. I think I probably meant that to happen at the time, but thinking further maybe it should keep the old values.

Group Faders - I don't want to make the app too complex (he says, with an 80 page manual). So I don't want to have busses or anything like that. So I haven't thought of a clever way to let you control multiple faders with a single finger, and more to the point, how to show this to the user. I instinctively feel that it would involve a complex screen that I'd then have to explain, and the development time for it all would outweigh the usefulness of just using up to 5 fingers on screen instead of 1. You can also use the Track List to move tracks up and down and ensure the five you want to change are all on the same bank of the Mixer.

Paulus

Postby Paulus » 22 Sep 2013, 20:22

Fair enough: with automation on every fader it's as easy to do multiple passes as to have groups, and if you get into bussing things would get very complicated very quickly! The great thing about Looptical is its simplicity....I forgot to mention the manual: comprehensive and very clearly written!

debepstein

Postby debepstein » 01 Jun 2014, 00:52

I have a question about Guitarist. The frets are too small for my husbands hand on a 3.5 x 2.5 screen. Can anyone tell me if I buy a device with a bigger screen whether the guitar will expand to fill the screen? Thanks!
debbie from Ringwood

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 03 Jun 2014, 17:09

Guitarist is an iPhone app, and so if you run it on an iPad (or iPad Mini) then you can press a "2x" button on the screen to expand to cover the screen. It is not a universal app, so the screen will not use the full Retina resolution, but be scaled up from the iPhone resolution. This is perfectly usable, however, and indeed a large number of people used our recent app Looptical in "2x" mode before I added iPad support.

Aliraza70

Postby Aliraza70 » 06 Apr 2015, 12:43

Allow the patch/arpeggio to be heard while making the pattern adjustments (maybe either with external keyboard, or a pattern hold.) I think this may be possible in Pianist Pro, but just in case!????

Return to “Feature Requests”