[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
MooCowMusic Support Forum • Create a new instrument by direct recording and piano roll

Create a new instrument by direct recording and piano roll

Request new Looptical features
Maarten

Create a new instrument by direct recording and piano roll

Postby Maarten » 17 Sep 2013, 14:43

Wow! I just heard about Looptical this morning, watched the tutorial videos on youtube and I'm really looking forward to this one! In a future update, I'd love to see the ability to directly record samples via the mic or an audio interface to create a new instrument, instead of importing or using audio copy and paste. Also a piano roll of some sort to edit notes instead of using the delete function would be nice. I think this app could well be one of the highlights of this year! Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Regards,

Maarten
The Netherlands

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Re: Create a new instrument by direct recording and piano ro

Postby MooCowMusic » 17 Sep 2013, 15:16

Feature requests, the day before the app is even released. Awesome! :)

Direct recording of samples via the mic. Currently you can record via mic /audio interface / Audiobus / Inter-App Audio into an audio track in, say, a temporary loop, and then copy that audio to the clipboard, and then paste it into the new instrument key or pad. So you can do it all within the app. I could potentially streamline that by having a new screen from the instrument creation screen that lets you record from the mic. I'll have a think about it.

Piano Roll. I'm not totally a fan of piano rolls on small screens like the iPhone. Especially if they encourage you to compose by painstakingly selecting and moving tiny boxes around, rather than playing live and quantizing. So Looptical has been designed to remove the need for a piano roll. That said, I can see the additional benefit in slightly re-timing or transposing individual notes in a piano roll, rather than the current method of deleting the note by playing over it in Delete mode and then re-recording it. So Piano Roll is on the "To Do" list. I'm just not sure how complex to make it at the moment.

dendy

Postby dendy » 18 Sep 2013, 11:08

Very interesting and promising DAW .. looking extremely nice, great design, sound quality i will check later but at first hear it is very good !

Regarding sequencer / piano roll (and automation curves! - it's essence for full featured DAW also in iphone, - look for inpisration in Nanostudio or Beatmaker 2 on iPhone - they boot are extremely usable - i made whole album at 90% in nanostudio at iphone and also few tracks in beatmaker .. So don't be affraid of sequencer view / pianoroll view on iphone - it IS useable and i think lot users will appreciate it :-)

Also - maybe in far future - consider also iPad version :-)

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 18 Sep 2013, 14:10

iPad version: Yes, but it will take at least (rough estimate) 6 months, so don't hold back if you want the app and for some reason don't have an iPhone. It currently runs happily in 2x mode on the iPad. It just isn't very "Retina". :)

Piano roll: Already been discussed. It is something that I would like to have ultimately, but I don't think it is "essential" in Looptical. Put it this way, the demo tracks were made without a piano roll, and there is an awful lot of parameter automation going on there, particularly in the Geometry Lesson track. Recording automation settings by directly manipulating the control (which can be mapped to a MIDI hardware control) has always seemed nicer to me than drawing a line with a mouse and trying to visualize the audio. Piano Roll is on the "To Do" list, however.

ampdm

Postby ampdm » 16 Nov 2013, 00:37

I think a piano roll would greatly improve the intuitive value of the app. I understand it`s already been discussed, but it would be GREATLY appreciated. I think the thing is that almost everyone can instantly and intuitively start working with a piano roll, and by not having one, it`s kind of forcing a "learning curve" that is above some other competing apps. I think the app is great, or I wouldn`t have bothered adding to the suggestion. It`s just a lot of us long-time musicians that have been using piano rolls for decades can just jump right into it. Even a basic horizontal tracklist would be great. Just looking forward to the feature to be added to this almost-perfect app(and I have them all). Keep up the good work!

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 16 Nov 2013, 17:08

Piano Roll will probably be my next big effort after finishing this iPad Universal version (which itself is no small update given that the entire app has had to be redesigned).

ampdm

Postby ampdm » 19 Nov 2013, 03:39

Return to “Feature Requests”