[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
MooCowMusic Support Forum • Love the app but can't figure out the looping

Love the app but can't figure out the looping

Ask for help with Looptical
Ricklh57

Love the app but can't figure out the looping

Postby Ricklh57 » 18 Apr 2015, 20:07

I can't seem to wrap my head around how to use the rack of loops in the app, specifically how to connect one loop to another. Do all the individual loops need to be the same length in order to append or merge successfully? For instance I did a 4-bar drum intro loop, then the second loop was 8 bars with that drum intro and a bass line on top of it, then a third 8-bar loop with drums, bass, strings. I simply want to have these 3 loops back-to-back in the order I recorded them in, so I (think) I want to insert loop 2 at the end of loop 1, and loop 3 at the end of loop 2? I tried using the insert, the append, the merge (separately) and could not get loop 2 at the end of loop 1. What is meant by "current loop"? Can anyone help me figure this out because I know it's a superb app, but this part is quite frustrating. :o The manual just isn't clear enough, IMO.

Ricklh57

Re: Love the app but can't figure out the looping

Postby Ricklh57 » 18 Apr 2015, 21:44

Hey, I think I'm good...I consulted the PDF manual (duh), messed with it some more and figured out that what I was missing was how to use the "Append" function correctly. I was then able to piece together several loops and made a cool-sounding soundtrack style piece of music. Feel free to still add any comments if you want but I'm a lot more excited now :mrgreen:

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 19 Apr 2015, 15:22

Hi there. Glad you've figured it out. Essentially Looptical is a cross between a simple pattern-based drum machine (where you make individual 1 bar patterns and then string them into a sequence) and a full piano-roll sequencer. But rather than make you click on little boxes to create music, I wanted to allow you to record live, overdub, and then cut and paste the music together and overdub again as once was (sometimes) done with audio tape.
It is, as you say, explained in the manual, but a lot of people want to just jump in without reading a manual. Doing this in Looptical means that the initial 1 bar loop is simplicity itself to create and the app appears very intuitive, but at the point where you want more than 1 bar and need to use the Loop Bank, it can be frustrating that the app suddenly seems more complex. On the other hand, you haven't had to spend time learning all the various little piano-roll edit icons and gestures to get to that point.

Ricklh57

Postby Ricklh57 » 19 Apr 2015, 16:25

Thanks for your reply :) I just finished recording another tune, called Looptical 2 (working title) posted on Soundcloud.

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Postby MooCowMusic » 20 Apr 2015, 09:11

Nice. The "Looptical 2" track sounds like it should be in the soundtrack to an 80s John Carpenter movie. :)

Ricklh57

Postby Ricklh57 » 21 Apr 2015, 04:15

Return to “Support”