Recording

johnH

Recording

Postby johnH » 05 Oct 2013, 17:31

Downloaded Pianist 10/2013. I cannot find anything in the manual, on You Tube, or on your website that explains what steps to take to record something. When I create a new song title, I play a song, trying to record it. When I hit "play" or "record" on the keyboard screen, Pianist always plays a pre-recorded song like chop sticks. Why hitting "record" plays a pre-recorded song (and not the one that I have "retrieved" on the "microphone" screen is beyond me. What sequential steps should I take to record a note, title the song "a note", and be able to play "a note"?

MooCowMusic
Site Admin

Re: Recording

Postby MooCowMusic » 05 Oct 2013, 19:55

Pianist will remember the current song when closed, and re-load that song the next time you open it. So what you are hearing is the previous song you loaded, and you are then overdubbing that song when you press record. This is actually a feature :) because it allows you to build up a song by repeatedly overdubbing it.

What you need to do is start a new song. In Pianist you do this by:
- Press the microphone icon.
- Press the Modify button.
- Erase Whole Song.

You now have a blank song that you can start recording over. You then can save this by:
- Press the microphone button.
- Tap in the box at the top and name your song.
- Tap Store.

Looking at this again, I think it is made more complex by not having a "New" button in the Store screen. And also the usage of the words "Store" and "Retrieve" instead of the normal "Save" / "Load". This was due to a requirement by Apple at the time, but perhaps I could make things slightly more intuitive in the future.

Return to “Support”